Originally published: 2018-01-25 23:13:46
EVERY signer of our Declaration of Independence was facing a death penalty if caught — not just for himself, but for his entire family.
England, at the time, was THE world power and would not have treasonous members in their Colonies.
The lack of compassion of King George III before July 4, 1776 would only be stiffened and tested sorely for the next 8 years.
Most of the signers were well to do at the time of the signing, most were near if not totally penniless by the time we won our Independence.
13 Colonies voted, 56 men signed…
5 signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.
12 had their homes ransacked and burned.
2 lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had 2 sons captured.
9 of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
What Kind of Men Were They?
24 were lawyers and jurists
11 were merchants
9 were farmers and large plantation owners
They were men of means, well educated.
But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy.
He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly.
He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding.
His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.
Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters.
He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire.
The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed.
The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.
John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying.
Their 13 children fled for their lives.
His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste.
For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart.
Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.
Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution.
These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians.
They were soft-spoken men of means and education.
They had security,
but they valued liberty more.
Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged:
“For the support of this declaration,
with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence,
we mutually pledge to each other,
our fortunes, and
our sacred honor.”
Given the enormity that they knew was before them, the had to rely on something bigger that all of it – divine Providence.
Did they also had mentors that guided them?
They are due our utmost respect and honor.
And truthfully, I have yet to watch this segment of the movie without breaking down.
Remember from whence we came
More Posts by This Writer
- Assistant FBI Direct McCabe: I’m leaving office in March – President Trump: NO DEAL
- Cliven and Ryan Bundy Interview – Freedom, Liberty, Dismissal
- House Expands Russia Probe to FBI, Justice Use of Unconfirmed Dossier to Snare President Trump
- Argentina’s Fernandez Charged with Treason, Arrest Sought
- I Am A Recovered Muslim
- HACKED: Gates Foundation, WHO, Wuhan University – They Thought This Wouldn’t Happen?
- If Liberals Hate POTUS This Much, To What Level Of Hate Do They Have for Those On This List?
- EXPOSED: More Evidence Of Manipulated COVID-19 Reporting
- Saudi Crown Prince bin Salman – Friend or Foe of the U.S.?
- What Liberty, Even Decisive Liberty, Is Not
- WikiLeaks Drops Proof That NYTimes Colluded With Hillary Clinton
- Center for Security Policy Occasional Paper Exposes a Perfect Storm of Threat
- New Additions to Our Bitchute Channel – Tuesday, 25-Aug-2020
- The Right Questions and Irrefutable Evidence Are Being Ignored by Palestinian As Well As Muslim Leaders
- What You Probably Did Not Know About the 56 Signers of Our Declaration of Independence
- Protesters? Really?? When Did Rioting Become Protesting???
- Questions to Ask About Palestine — or About Any Country — Claiming History and Sovereignty
- PLANDEMIC Part 1 – An Illegally Prosecuted AIDS Remedy Scientist Interviewed About COVID-19
- NASA Using Its Technology to Provide 2 New COVID-19 Fighting Machines
- Why Indonesia Showing Solidarity for the Palestinian Cause, Though Understandable, Is a Huge Mistake
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Separating the MSM Narrative from Front Line Medical Experiences
- The Legacy the Clinton’s left in Vietnam
- As Smith Heads to DC, Questions Linger Over Her Replacement
- An Open Letter To Dennis Prager And Dave Rubin
- Common Questions About the Guards Manning the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- The Seeds of the Russian Collusion Go Back Well BEFORE Trump Became President? Yes.
- Our Pledge
- An Empowering Means to Protect Yourself, Family, and Friends from COVID-19
- Wall Street, Main Street, and Global Economics With a Donald Trump Victory…
- Eternal Struggle Between Good and Evil Playing Out Right Now – Archbishop Viganò’s Powerful Letter to President Trump
- What You Need to Know About North Korea’s Missile Program
- Trump State Department Supports Iran Protesters, Says Iran Exports ‘Bloodshed’
- Latest Updates to Why COVID-19 Is More Than A Seditious Biological Attack
- The Logan Act – Using a Dead Letter Law to Bludgeon Trump
- How Prepared Is Your Community for a Coronavirus Pandemic?
- Can’t Fight Something You Don’t Know About
- Why U.S. District Court Judge Rudolph Contreras Recusal From Mike Flynn Case is a Big Deal
- UPDATED: Big Pharma’s Secret Global Eugenics Agenda
- Weapons of Mass Deception Goes Beyond the News – Why You Should Totally Avoid MSM
- EXPOSED: Medical Malpractice by Nurses in NYC
- The Prejudice of CNN in ‘Breaking’ the Slave Trade in Libya
- Congratulation to Hillel Neuer and His Team – U.N. Watch Turned 25
- WHERE DID IT COME FROM: Tracking Down the Origin of Wuhan Coronavirus – The Epoch Times
- Watchdog Sues for Records Related to Flynn Conversations with Russian ambassador
- God Has Reclaimed A Mighty Man (UPDATED)
- Our Thanks and Gratitude This Memorial Day 2020
- A New Year’s Message for All from Iran
- Veteran’s Day 2019
- DEVELOPING: Kathy Hall Gone Missing Enroute to SCOTUS to Assist In Lawsuit Against Arkansas CPS
- Are Opinion Polls Underestimating Support For the Sweden Democrats?