Sweden holds legislative elections on Sunday, with polls predicting a parliamentary deadlock as neither Prime Minister Stefan Lofven’s left-wing bloc nor the opposition centre-right are seen winning a majority, while the far-right makes gains.
“It’s difficult to single out the most likely (government) scenario” after the election, University of Gothenburg political scientist Ulf Bjereld told AFP.
“Instead you have to look for the least unlikely scenarios,” he said.
One thing is certain: Sweden is headed for a period of uncertainty, with a weak minority government triggering fears of new elections, at a time when economists are forecasting a likely downturn during the next four-year mandate.
Traditionally in Sweden after the election, the outgoing speaker of parliament consults with party leaders to nominate a candidate for prime minister tasked with forming a government.
Parliament votes on the speaker’s choice, and can reject his proposal four times, after which new elections must be called. Sweden has not held a snap election since 1958.
Skop poll, 3-Sep-2018:
Sweden, Skop poll:
S-S&D: 23% (-1)
— Europe Elects (@EuropeElects) September 3, 2018
Ipsos poll – Share of voters of parties belonging to the Alliance block saying yes to cooperation with SD-ECR
Sweden, Ipsos poll:
Share of voters of parties belonging to the Alliance block saying yes to cooperation with SD-ECR
KD-EPP: 72 %
M-EPP: 64 %
L-ALDE: 25 %
C-ALDE: 8 %
— Europe Elects (@EuropeElects) September 3, 2018
The post-election scenario seen as most likely by political observers is a new Lofven government, albeit with an even weaker minority than it has now.
The outgoing “red-green” bloc — made up of the governing Social Democrats and the Greens, with the informal support in parliament of the ex-communist Left Party — is leading in the polls ahead of the centre-right Alliance.
If Lofven were to stay in power with a weakened minority, he would likely try to rally the support of two Alliance members, the Centre Party and the Liberals, to pass legislation, finding common ground on issues like immigration, integration and gender equality.
The far-right Sweden Democrats however have vowed to topple a minority left-wing government, for example during the vote on the autumn budget bill.
The conservative Moderates Party leader Ulf Kristersson is intent on ousting Lofven.
Despite some ideological differences, notably on immigration, the four centre-right Alliance parties which governed between 2006 and 2014 (the Moderates, Centre, Liberals and Christian Democrats) have agreed to build a coalition government.
Easier said than done: the Alliance would need the support of the far-right to pass legislation, and the far-right would make demands in exchange for its backing.
It would either ask for policy concessions — which the four parties have so far ruled out — or key positions on parliamentary commissions that draft legislation.
One uncertainty in this scenario is the score of the Christian Democrats.
Opinion polls have long credited the party with less than the 4% required to be represented in parliament, though towards the end of the campaign they appeared to be comfortably above the bar.
If the two previous scenarios were to fail, the Social Democrats could choose to invite the Liberal and Centre parties to the negotiating table.
While Lofven has insisted that he wants to continue to govern with the Greens, he has not ruled out such a possibility. They would have to overcome major differences though, in particular on the budget.
Such a collaboration would signal the end of the centre-right Alliance.
With a wave of populism
sweeping across many countries
in recent years,
some political analysts have suggested
that opinion polls may be underestimating
support for the
far-right Sweden Democrats (SD).
They have not ruled out the possibility the SD could end up being the biggest party.
However, SD would find itself isolated, unable to build a government or majority in parliament.
The head of the party, Jimmie Akesson, doesn’t believe in such a scenario himself, seeing instead a collaboration with the Moderates in such a case.
Repost from Times of India
More Posts by This Writer
- Winning Only Goes to Those Taking the Right Actions
- One Question for Everyone Anti-Israel…
- WPATH Did Not Want This Video To Go Public
- Breast Milk and C19 Vaxes
- What Happens When There Is Evidence That Is Very Convicting of Big Pharma’s Medical Malpractice?
- COVID “Vaccine” Evidence of Poisons Is Damning
- The MSM Narrative Cares Not Less About Front Line Medical Experiences
- Trust Never Comes from Demanding Respect, But From Commanding Honor
- Why Your Beliefs and Not That of Others Are Messing You Up
- Why SCOTUS Same-Sex Marriage Ruling Can Be Overturned
- Several Health Problems See More Deaths Than COVID
- There is Only One Reason for the Delay of the Liberation of Mosul
- Is There a Difference Between Leftist? Liberal? Democrat? Yes
- Historic Overview of COVID-19 & The So-Called COVID Vaxes And What To Expect If You Have Been Vaxed
- Failing to Shift = Broken Tethers + Whiners
- Faith Is Not the Same As Religion – Why You Most Likely Have It Wrong
- A Response to An Anonymous Note About Trump…
- THE RULE OF LAW: What Happens When Crime Is At the Top, Not the Bottom
- Lack of Good Character by Many Govt Leaders Lead to the FBI Killing An Innocent Man
- How Well DO You Know Our Constitution?
- Flight Attendant Sheds New Light on 9/11, NIST Whistleblower, Honoring Those Killed
- Secretive Liberal Donor Summit Increases Security, Changes Itinerary Following Free Beacon Report
- U.S.-Based Imam Prays That “Allah Destroy the Zionists”
- An Offensive Move Against a Warring State is Not a Phobia
- Latest COVID-19 Updates and Why It Is More Than A Seditious Biological Attack
- Our Attitude Towards Money Matters
- God We Need You Now
- Your Country Is Your Location, Not Your Excuse
- How to Protect Yourself Online
- How Are We the Underdog?
- Latest Listings of Our Telegram Channels and Groups
- EXPOSED: Medical Malpractice by Nurses in NYC
- POST: 3 Documentaries That Annihilates The MSM And Big Tech Ukraine Narrative
- Where Did COVID Come From? – The Epoch Times
- William Cooper – Lecture
- Myron Fagan’s CFR and the Illuminati – Part 6 of 6
- Myron Fagan’s CFR and the Illuminati – Part 4 of 6
- Capital Jerusalem, What Does It Mean for the Middle East?
- 3 Documentaries That Annihilates the MSM and Big Tech Ukraine Narrative
- We’ve Been Down This Road Before
- 1876 – Our 1st 100 Years as the United States of America
- Be Vigilant Of the Undercurrent Used By Globalists
- Admitting They Botched the COVID Response, CDC Announces an Overhaul
- VIDEO: The Solution to Stop Islam by a Former Child Bride
- Who or What is Konnech and Why You Need to Care – NOW…
- The End of Family Political Dynasties Begins
- LIVE: Devolution Power Hour – Gregg Phillips Interview
- What Liberty, Even Decisive Liberty, Is Not
- POST: Lawsuits Being Weaponized Against Those Making True Statements
- Lawsuits Being Weaponized Against Those Making True Statements
BANNED DOCUMENTARY: Conspiracy Of Silence (1993)
Conspiracy Of Silence Is a documentary film detailing an alleged child sex scandal that involved many children from a Nebraska Institution, Boys Town, and Lawrence King - or Lawrence "Larry" King.
The organized child sex parties implicated the Reagan and Bush White House during the 1980s.
King was the ringleader of the sex ring which had links to other fellow political conservatives in Washington D.C., including
- Republican Lobbyist Craig J. Spence
- Sen. Elizabeth Dole's Staff, along with
- members of the financial elite of Nebraska
It features former CIA Director William Colby talking about the high-level child kidnap and sex-slave ring.
The book that was the basis of this movie can be found by clicking here.
Reflections from Decisive Liberty
The following stance is stated in the final paragraph of the oration given for the unveiling of our Statue of Liberty on the 28th of October, 1886....
... there is room in America and brotherhood for all who will support our institutions and aid in our development; but those who come to disturb our peace and dethrone our laws are aliens and enemies forever.
You can view the full oration by clicking here.
We at Decisive Liberty are committed to this stance and welcome all - if you have not already - to join us in learning to live by this stance.There are only 2 nations that have placed God within their Constitution: one was created by God for the people He loves, the other created by the people who love Him.